Monday, March 31, 2008

Moving Aboard Your Boat

So I clicked on one of my advertisers links and found a good site. The site owner has a we book on 7 secrets to Moving Aboard Your Boat. One of the Authors quotes really made an impact. This is because it sounds exactly like how I feel right now. Here is the quote.

“I was living a life most dirt dwellers would be jealous of. I had a high paying career and a big house. I had lots of expensive big boy toys. Supposedly, I had it all. Why then wasn’t I happy? I felt my enthusiasm and life’s energy being sucked right out of me. I wasn’t sure what I wanted, but I knew I wanted to do something amazing with my life, today. Why shouldn’t we be able to live life in the present and stop deferring living life until we retire?”

I have also joined the Yahoo Group that is listed on this site where others apparently share the dream of a live aboard cruising lifestyle. After going through the svbellarose site I will have to watch the Captain Ron movie as well. It appears to be right up my alley. The internet is a great place for sharing knowledge. It appears to be never-ending. I am not the 1st person to write about a dream nor will I be the last.

I am not the only one that is or has pursued his dreams. One of the big issues that will impact my ability to pursue this dream is to ensure financial success. My theory is that I wouldn’t need as much income to survive on a boat, however the expense required to keep up these Cats seems high. I don’t want to eat up what little retirement I have saved so far just to replace the sails.

Some folks write books, some will run charters, some sell photo’s and write articles for magazines, but is all of this enough to support you and still have money left over to help out the kids with college? I have much to learn. Catamarans don’t go up in value like a home right? At some point I might want to upgrade right? If all I can do is break even or worse, then it may not be the right time to buy the Cat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi CatManDav and everyone reading this blog.

Rob of sv Bella Rose here. Thanks for the kind words about my writing. Anyone interested in how some of us full-time liveaboards make money, look for the next issue of Living Aboard magazine (May 2008 issue), it should be out in a couple of weeks. I authored an article about making money while cruising.

Please, please, please, any questions about life aboard a boat, just ask me. Visit our site as mentioned above, www.svBellaRose.com or email me rob@svBellaRose.com

Thanks again...

Anonymous said...

Hi Rob,
I am a single mom of 4 children,however only 3 of them will be aboard with me. I have dreamt of doing this since I was a little girl. I thought I would retire this way. I cant wait untill then. I also want to show my children a different veiw of the world . I dont have any savings , so I am going to take the next 6 months to a year and plot my course. I do have a talent in cutting hair. This has been my job for 23 years. I also scuba dive so cleaning the bottom of boats along the way is a possibility.I need more suggestions on making money while aboard. Thank you for your site .

AddMe - Search Engine Optimization