Monday, March 3, 2008

Fly Fishing in La Paz Mexico

My father is funding a trip to La Paz in May for 5 days of big game fly fishing. This trip is a dream come true for him. He is retired and wants to do this while he can. He is in great health and has many years of fishing left in him, but for him his fishing clock is ticking. He has the money, so he might as well spend it while he can. The trip is a total of 7 days and only cost 1,350.00 US each plus airfare. 5 days of fishing, lodging and most meals are covered. Not bad especially since he is picking up most of the tab. I guess this is an early birthday gift. I will enjoy the trip as much as he will. I need a vacation.

Although I am experienced in Fly fishing, this will be my first attempt to catch big game on a fly. I will be obtaining some lessons next weds evening on fly casting. I plan to practice in part so that I can get my arm in shape. I can imagine casting for 5 days straight could be taxing on the shoulder. I need to learn how to cast far with large fly rods and reels. This should be fun.

My goal on this trip is to add several new species to the list of fish I have caught. We can potentially catch any one of the following. Tuna, Dorado, Yellowfin, Marlin, Sailfish, Pargo, Sierra, Skipjack, Jack Crevalle and Rooster fish like the one shown here.

We will be fishing on small panga boats like the one pictured below. Only two fisherman per boat. I hope the one we are on have shade, however I am not betting on it. Might be time to do some shopping for sunscreen, a large sombrero and a long sleeve shirt.

I wish I were sailing to La Paz. This is an example of something I plan to do on a Catamaran. I enjoy fishing and diving, so what better way to get there then on a Cat? If it were up to me we would combine fishing with some days of diving or spear fishing. I recall a fishing trip to Cabo San Lucas where we backed up as close to some rocks near shore at least as close as was safe. The fishing guide knew were the fish were. With one cast he hooked up. He would cast live bait near the rocks and let it fall next to the rock face and hooked up with the biggest Dog Snapper I have ever seen (25-30lbs as I recall). Mine got off and he proceeded to hook into a second fish which my buddy managed to get in. I look forward to going back someday to fish or spear fish for them if allowed. I still need to research fishing licenses and regulations for the area.

No comments:

AddMe - Search Engine Optimization