Friday, March 14, 2008

Cat Stats & Hybrid's are Heavier

I have added several new Catamarans and related stats to the CatStats table located at the bottom of the page. I noticed a disappointing fact when reading the specifications on the Lagoon 420. The Lagoon 420 is 2668lb’s heavier when equipped as a Hybrid then with two diesels. I am surprised and disappointed. I figured it would be the opposite. After all, you are getting rid of two diesels. Instead of two diesels and a generator you have just one generator, two electric motors and some batteries. The difference in weight is from 26,835lbs 2 X40 diesels and 29503lbs for 2 X 10 KW electrics motors. Wow. I have heard there are some newer technologies they are researching where the batteries are lighter and more efficient. This is very interesting stuff.

2668lb’s can make a significant difference on a long journey I am sure. Using the #’s for the Hybrid or twin diesels, the performance of the Lagoon is predicted to be low compared to the other cats on the CatStats table.

I have ranked and sorted the cats by ranking the SA/D and D/L #’s, adding their ranks together and then dividing by 2. The lower the average ranking the better however, keep in mind, from what I have read, having a higher SA/D is slightly more important then having a low D/L. I expected the Gunboat to rank higher then it did. Makes me want to go back and double check some #’s to make sure I am being fair.

I also noticed an error in my SA/D formula which has been corrected. Displacements will vary too. I will typically post the dry weight when available, however sometimes there is no indication as to weather this is the dry weight or not, so keep this in mind. Performance of the craft will decrease as weight is added and will do so much faster on some cats then others.

No comments:

AddMe - Search Engine Optimization