Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Wait is Killing Me

Home and work life volume is picking up. Hard to find time to play and relax. I can only imagine what life on the ocean would be like. Although I am sure there are stresses, they can’t be as bad as my life at the moment. Not that I can’t handle it, but it isn’t easy to balance it all and remain sane. How will my dream come true under these circumstances though? Is there a way? I am growing impatient.

Our 11 year old daughter is in division 1 competitive soccer, so this takes up a lot of time. It is so rewarding for her though and that makes us happy. When will I find time to sail and take lessons? We have a three and a half year old to raise as well. I have seen some families sail with their kids. If we move to a house on the water will the schools be as good? This is not an opportune time to pursue a dream for me, yet the desire is so strong I can’t deny it. Writing this blog, reading and researching catamarans seems to help me cope.

I think every day about how I can live my dream and still support my family and have money left over when we retire. I won’t be foolish and put all my money in a boat that will not appreciate in value. I think about finding a way to capitalize on the housing market. I think about selling photo’s or videos from sailing adventures. I think about running some charters, mostly day or weekend stuff for now. I keep looking for ways to supplement my income to help justify the expenditure. I have read about the huge tax advantages of putting your boat in a charter; however I don’t know how much I would benefit yet.

Ideally I want to owe little to none on our property, and finance the cat. Our incomes are going up so we should be able to live comfortably with that plan. Finances are improving; however we are still stuck until we get through this terrible housing market. When the conditions are right I plan to buy some land on water, most likely the least expensive lot around. Then the question is, do we buy the Cat and live in it, or do we live on land in a large RV, or buy a trailer home or prefab home. It just needs to be functional for me, for now. Time will tell. It is eating at me though. Very similar to when I purchased my 1st truck and then our Camper. The wait seems to last forever and the wait for this Cat will be even longer... much longer.

1 comment:

Larry said...

Appreciaate you blogging this

AddMe - Search Engine Optimization