Thursday, May 1, 2008

Thoughts on Used Catamarans and US Dollar Update

Been thinking more seriously about narrowing down the list of cats that I might want to purchase sometime in the future. Outremer certainly comes to mind. There is a good article comparing two of the Outremer 42’s. One uses diesel and the other uses diesel electric propulsion. Check it out here. There is some promising information surrounding electric propulsion. Although there are still ups and downs, I have to remember that my boat will be power hungry. This is another reason to go with an electric cat.

Another cat I would love to own although I am guessing it will be out of my price range is a Gunboat. Just to see what is new I went to there website. There are a couple links to some interesting Gunboat blogs and additional news found here. They have announced the new Gunboat 66 although not much info on it yet.

I would love to own a cat 50 feet or more but I suspect I will at some point have to do a reality check and drop that goal. A 41 foot Maine Cat might be a better option for me. It would be substantially less money and still be a good performing and functional cat which are two of my top priorities. This would free up much more money for upgrades and ongoing maintenance.

Here is an update on the US dollar to EURO that I have been watching. Things are starting to show improvement for the US Dollar. To recap, I started on 2-14-2008. In my sample I made the assumption that someone might buy a Catamaran at 500k EURO and converted that into US Dollars using http://www.xe.com/ as a translator and kept track over time. Below is the data I have gathered so far. As you can see as of April things are beginning to trend downward.

1 comment:

BenjaminFranklin said...

You can build a big catamaran for a lot less than that. See my website at http://www.dunnanddunnrealtors.com/Catamaran.html

AddMe - Search Engine Optimization