Monday, February 25, 2008

So why a Catamaran?

To be clear I am referring to a cruising class multi hull sailing Catamaran. The type of Catamaran I am speaking of has been referred to as a luxurious condo on the water. Whether you need more clarification or not regarding Catamarans, then this video is a must see.

If that doesn't make your heart beat a little faster then you might not be human. If you are into Cats and speed like I am you might even be a little aroused after watching.

I still think I need to explain more though as to "Why a Catamaran?". This dream only started a year ago although it feels like it has been longer. It was February 2007 and my marriage was on the rocks and for the 1st time since I married I was beginning to become the pessimist rather then the Optimist. This change of heart was a wakeup call and it got my wheels spinning. To add to the issue, our finances were heading south due to the worst Real Estate market crash in 20 years. Living pay check to paycheck and watching my net worth shrink day by day was depressing to say the least, however at this point in the story I wasn't yet clinically depressed. I still had my whit’s about me and thoughts of my future began to formulate.

I was the morning after a really bad argument with my wife. I had a long drive to get to a tech class I was attending to improve my abilities at work. I was coasting down a hilly road and as I rounded the bend I noticed in the distance a motorcycle cop roll into the middle of the street. I knew instantly that I was busted. I slowed and pulled over as directed. I knew better then to speed here as this was a common area that local cops used as speed trap. He was nice and let me go saying that he only gives one warning per day and I was the lucky recipient. Whew! Like I didn’t have enough to worry about.

On the drive to class and throughout the day every free moment I had was concentrating on my future and what I would do and what it would be like as a single guy. As class went on through the day one of the guys in the class mentioned he was staying in his second home which was a large yacht parked in a slip in a nearby harbor. When I heard this a light went on. During breaks I was already perusing used yachts for sale. Why not live on a boat?

I love the water. I have often thought of living on the water. I have spent 1000’s of hours on the water from wakeboarding to deep sea fishing so why not live on the water. I asked the man about his experience on his second home on the water. How much would it cost? I make good money. If I lived on a boat I am thinking that the expenses would be low, so my mind was working overtime to figure this out. I needed an option should my marriage fail and at the moment in time I was all but checked out. I make good money so I could live on the boat inexpensively, on the water and still be able to afford my child support obligations for my 2 1/2 year old at the time.

This seemed like a good plan. I could fish off the back of my boat and take it out for trips on occasion…..wait….that could be expensive. After all gas prices are going through the roof where I come from. I could afford to live on the boat, but didn’t think I would enjoy taking a large yacht out on excursions due to the extreme fuel expense. I was brought up and continue to be frugal with my money, so gas prices really hit a nerve. I wouldn’t be where I am if I were bad with money.

So the yacht idea quickly moved to a sailboat. It wasn’t long before I began to read about sailboats. I was already a fan of catamaran powerboats. I had read an article explaining how much more fuel efficient they are and how much smoother they are when running so it was only a matter of time before I would read about cruising catamarans. I hit the Internet hard and began to fall in love with them. I think the Gunboat video solidified my dream.

A couple months later I attended the Strictly Sailboat show with my wife and looked at the three Cats that were on display. Attending the show allowed us to receive a free subscription to a sailboat magazine. We took a short and free sail on a monohull that day with my wife. I enjoyed it, but this was new to my wife. She has some fears to get over. The boat heeled way over a few times and there was a look of fear on her face. She is a trooper and got through it, but this is another reason to go with a Multihull. We took a 2 hour trip on a 50 foot charter catamaran later that month. I was sold on a cat and my quest continues today on an almost daily basis. Much still needs to happen to make this dream a reality.

No comments:

AddMe - Search Engine Optimization