Monday, February 25, 2008

The Plan!

That was enough history for the moment. Lets talk about the where I am going to park the cat. The cat I imagine owning eventually could be as much as 50 feet long and 25 feet wide. This limits the locations and availability significantly. Renting or purchasing a slip in a crowded marina doesn't sound too appealing; however I am not completely against it yet. So the plan at the moment is to purchase some inexpensive waterfront property.

I have found a waterfront location that would suit the needs. I don't expect any issues parking a big cat there. There are no draw bridges in the way from the property all the way to the Ocean. Most cats have very little draft so they can go anywhere a small boat can go. The idea at the moment is to pay cash for the land. Most of the properties I have seen here would most likely fit into my plans financially. Trouble is the property would at best contain a fixer upper to live in or maybe just a boat dock. I don’t see this dream happening anytime soon if I have to have another huge mortgage to pay just to purchase the waterfront land. Many of the structures that fit the plan are dumps or there is no home at all. Some have floating homes which would just get in the way of the cat. So I expect to have my work cut out for me.

The location I have settled in on is not to far from where we are now and wouldn't change our commute times much. Plus as it turns out my wife and I will both be working from home most of the days of the week. It is centrally located in the waters I would enjoy spending time in. It is the best I can find given our needs. I don't need to live in a fancy house. It just needs to be functional for now. My priorities are covered storage for the land toys and vehicles and enough water frontage to keep a big Cat.

I am still undecided. Do I plan on living on the boat or do I renovate the property that comes with the land or build some inexpensive but functional housing (Prefab or something similar?), or both. Trouble is, one of the previous would come before the other. Can I wait if needed to buy the cat or will I decide to live on the cat so that I can enjoy it sooner rather then later? Throughout this whole process it is very important that I never allow us to be in the terrible financial shape that we are in now.

I have been saying “I” a lot, but the decision isn't solely up to me. I am still nursing a troubled marriage. We have a 3 1/2 year old and a 12 year old in the house to think about. We are at least a year away from making any move so there is time. The housing market has to improve significantly to make this dream a reality. The good news is that so far my wife seems to be on board, but she hasn't been told everything that goes through my mind. I don’t know how she will handle rough seas yet. She has been in the ocean, but it was flat calm out there at the time. I am hopeful that the patch will do the trick. If not then we will have issues to resolve.

No comments:

AddMe - Search Engine Optimization