Monday, June 9, 2008

La Paz Mexico

It’s been a while since my last post. I was in La Paz Mexico on a 7 day trip. 5 days of the trip was devoted to Fly Fishing. The photo to the right was taken at Sunrise aboard our Panga. Although the trip was dedicated to fishing, I wished I were staying on a Cat. I imagined what it would be like. Someday I plan to turn imagination into reality. You can read more about my trip to La Paz on my Adventure Blog here. Since it is not related to Catamarans and Sailing I keep a separate blog.

I wished I had brought snorkeling gear on this trip. Although we stayed in La Paz, we fished an hour from the hotel in an area I believe they called Las Arenas. While fishing was slow one day we searched for a spot to fish and the captain of the Panga we were on drove right by a rocky point that was loaded with what seemed like an unlimited variety of fish. The water was as clear as day. It was so clear I felt like the prop was going to drag the rocks below. I am sure it was plenty deep. My only concern however is that I know there are Hammer Head and possible Mako’s that cruise the area, so I don’t know how safe it would be to dive there. The Mant Rays were plentiful as well and were taking flight all over the place. Although it is rare, they can be deadly as well. I recommend asking some of the locals if it is safe.

The local fisherman apparently do a good job of thinning the shark population. They have Shark buoys all over the place. The shark buoys’ are anchored to the ground. They will tie large hooks with Bonita or whatever bait they have to these shark buoy’s and then come back the next day to see if they caught anything. Not very sporting and I bet there is little to no regulations on how many they can harvest. We saw the fisherman go from buoy to buoy checking the lines. I didn’t see a whole lot of shark caught each day, so I guess that means sharks are not thick in the area. From what I have heard the future of fishing in this and other area’s of Baja doesn’t look good. I guess there are big boats netting up all the fish. At least us fly fisherman released the majority of our catch.

From what I have heard, La Paz is a popular sailing destination. I know I plan to sail there someday. I did see a nice Catamaran cruise by our hotel as well as several other sailboats and watercraft. We stayed at the La Concha Beach Resort in La Paz. The hotel is in-between two of the Marina’s. The Marina de La Paz and the Marina Costa Baja. I watched several sailboats cruise by the hotel through the channel. The Marina Costa Baja is home to one of the Moorings Charter locations. Here is a map of downtown La Paz which shows the location of Marina de La Paz , Immigration, Port Authority and more. I ran across a story by Mitch Mandell who tells of his time sailing a catamaran in La Paz here if you are interested.

Please feel free to reply to any of these posts or send me an email with any catamaran related news or general Sailing information. I am always looking for new information. My last post on May 20th I wrote about the Admiral Yachts Catamaran. I was unable to find the stats for the cat. I guess Alan Geeling read my post and was nice enough to give me the missing stats. I have updated the Catamaran statistics and performance potential rankings table if you are interested. Check them out here. Thanks for the info Alan.

2 comments:

Jim and Heather on Meerkat said...

Hi,
I was just "blog searching" and searched "catamarans". We live on our cat in La Paz - sorry we didn't meet you. Jim would have loved to sit & talk catamarans with you. He researched cats for 4 years before we purchased ours. Great blog & info. Great dream too! I know we'd "never go back"! If you come to La Paz again, look us up!

Mike Harris said...

That's a beautiful picture at the tail end of your La Paz posting, Dave. What's the type, etc., and whose is it? I notice the couple has a dog on board. Must be much easier to train a pup to "go" on the trampoline, followed by a quick wash-down by his/her owner, if you're cruising far from land.

AddMe - Search Engine Optimization