Friday, January 2, 2009

Christmas in Puerto Morelos

My family decided to spend Christmas in Puerto Morelos Mexico this year. Puerto Morelos is a short drive South of Cancun. There were 12 of us in all. Rather then spend a bunch of money on gifts we spent it on travel expenses and excursions. Puerto Morelos is a family friendly town and was not overrun with Tourists. It is much less expensive then Cancun and not so crowded.

We stayed at the Posada El Moro. It may be the best deal in town for the money. It was no 5 star resort by any means, but for location and staff I give it a 10. It has a pool with a shallow area for kids. It is less then a block away from the center of this family friendly town and has free Internet Access in the hotel lobby for its guests. There is some construction going on and they have some kinks to work out with the hot water heater and AC unit in the room we were in, but over all it was a pleasant stay.

One day on my way out to a local dive spot, I spotted a large 50 foot Catamaran moored behind the protected reef near the peer at the center of town. I imagined what it would be like to stay on the Catamaran VS the Hotel we were at. Especially on the 5th or 6th day without a TV, a fridge and sometimes hot water. It was windy so there may be some mild waves slapping and a bit of motion. I am curious what a night in those conditions would be like. I suppose as you get used to it you would be rocked to sleep. Unfortunately for me after the 5th or 6th night at the hotel I began to miss the comforts of home. I am confident a properly outfitted cruising Catamaran would eliminate the desire to go home.

Since I am still a long way from retirement but still strongly desire to spend a lot of time on a Catamaran I will require full functional while at sea. What I will be seeking in a Cat is a mobile office. Since I primarily work from home I could conceivably work from a properly configured Cat. As long as I have a strong Internet connection I could theoretically work wirelessly from the back porch of the Cat sipping coffee in the morning enjoying a new and amazing each day. During breaks for lunch I could drop a line in the water and maybe catch something for lunch or take a dip to cool off. Some day….. Some day…..  Still dreaming.

1 comment:

Toast said...

"I am curious what a night in those conditions would be like."

It's a bit rolly, sometimes it's annoying. Often, you can improve the comfort by dropping a stern anchor which points you up into the swell. 9 out of 10 times that'll take an ucky situation and render it quite comfortable.

"Unfortunately...I began to miss the comforts of home. I am confident a properly outfitted cruising Catamaran would eliminate the desire to go home."

Well yes. But mostly because when you are living aboard a cruising catamaran, the boat is home. What you occasionally want to do is take a vacation. You'll get a really strong yen to go someplace without sand, salt, or sun, where nice PYTs wait on you as you sip hot buttered rum by a fire on a snowy day.

Television, however. Now that's amusing. We haven't watched the tele in nearly two years. There's an active DVD exchange for folks who want to watch the occasional movie. We brought a lot of movies with us. I'd say on average we pull out the gear twice a month.

Also, hot water? On the Mexican Riviera? Bleah. Tepid at best is all you'll want when you're living without the AC. In the evenings we swim with the fish and the phosphorescents then use a gallon of fresh agua to rinse off before heading to bed.

Look, it's really important that we don't pretend that catamaran living is so much more palatial or luxurious than monohull living. ALL cruising on affordable, well-maintained boats is essentially "routine maintenance in exotic ports of call." You'll work hard to maintain that platform, it won't be as "comfortable" as a house, it'll be hot, dirty, and sometimes it will smell bad. Cats are more spacious and they handle those slappy rolly anchorages considerably better, but it's still a boat.

However, I wouldn't trade the cruising life for the most palatial land life. So there you go.

AddMe - Search Engine Optimization